If there were a contest for creating the ugliest piece of snow dyed fabric, I would win it in a heartbeat! I started out with fabric and a nice pile of snow and these lovely dye colors.
Light and dark blue and my favorite, deep orange. Snow melts and dyes don’t dye like you think they will. This is what I got….
Not one spot of orange, lots of dingy gray and just plain overall UGLY. I really thought that with those colors I’d get some lovely shades of blue and some great pops of orange. I didn’t even get any of the lovely crystallization that makes snow dyeing so attractive.
I had a second batch going, with a red, a blue and some sage green, I think. It turned out much better, but I don’t think I’m going to be a fan of snow dyeing.
Trying to analyze what I don’t like and why…one thing is that even the lightest parts of the fabric look dingy, rather than pastel. Used ‘color blends’ of dye rather than pure colors. I knew they would separate out a bit, but these were not attractive. There were a few areas on the second batch that I think I would use, but mostly…not! Thought I had my color theory down right for this, but the blending was so not what I expected. Now I get to play with color theory again to try and figure out something I can overdye with that will make these pieces into something other than rags!
Conclusion: snow dyeing is not that appealing to me with this lack of success. I may try it again, with more pure colors, but it won’t be right away.
Besides, I actually had to go out into the snow and shovel it into the containers! Brrrrr!