Today was a day for some simple beading time. No brain strain, no design dilemnas. Just simple stitching pleasure.
Finished up my little stamped and stitched leaf with some bead sparkle. I’ve also found out that taking pictures without correcting for the LED light I’m beading by gives you a very blue picture! I’ve never claimed to be a very good photographer, though!
This will be mounted on a 12 x 12 canvas. Little projects like these are great to watch football with!
It’s always so enjoyable to sit and stitch on a quiet day.
I’ve got a bunch of leaves that I’ve stamped or stenciled on fabric so it’s easy to pick one up, thread a needle and begin to stitch.
No plan, simple running stitch for the most part…pure enjoyment.
Probably needs a little beading bling before I’m done with it, though!
Those glue gun stamps are so much fun! I did some stamping and some stenciling and used them for resists. I got paint all over my hands and made a big mess on my table.
I had sooooo much fun!
I produced some fabric that I liked, too.
Since I had these pieces
I decided to use them for my experiments. It’s so much easier to play when it’s on fabric that you really don’t care that much about!
Sooooooo much fun! I guess I already said that!
I believe I’m going to have even more fun when I start slicing things up and putting them back together. They seem to go well with this piece of fabric also, so I might end up with quite a large piece.
Playtime—just can’t beat it!
Time to try out the glue stamps! They aren’t really as delicate as they look, either!
When you take them off the silicon sheet, the bottom side is flat and a perfect stamp. I laid it out with that side up and applied paint. I’ll tell you right now that 1) I made a very large stamp, 2) large stamps take a lot of paint, and 3) a sponge foam roller is not the best applicator of paint to stamps. The makeup sponge worked better.
I flipped the stamp over onto the fabric and ran over it with a brayer.
The paint looks lighter on this side, and that was my first clue that the sponge roller might not have delivered enough paint.
I simply repeated with another color, using the other applicator and making sure there was a lot of paint on the stamp. I didn’t try to line it up exactly with the first stamp, either. It just didn’t seem to need that bit of exactitude!
Came out pretty well. I can certainly work with this. Stuck with the same stamp for the next experiment. I used it as a stamp, then a stencil and spritzed more paint over it.
This came out really pretty and I’m eager to make something with it.
And because I just can’t waste any paint, I grabbed a piece of fabric and laid it on top of this while the stamp was still on it and the paint was wet. Tip: have ironed fabric available because those fold lines leave small straight lines when you take the impression.
But even this came out very useable, for a clean up cloth! And cleaning the stamp was a simple swish in cool water. There is a tiny bit of paint visible, but that won’t affect anything.
Right now I’m very much in love with glue gun stamps. I have more to play with but a few days with outside responsibilities before I can get back to this. Now I can’t wait! So much fun!!!
Pun intended! After my failure with the glue on cardboard stamps, I went to the internet to look for a better way. I found lots of good information and there are so many interesting videos out there!
I grabbed onto the parts that appealed to me and this is what I’m trying.
For my first try, I thought I’d make a leaf…but I placed a drawing underneath the silicon sheet and traced over it with the glue gun.
Not an exact copy, because I thought ahead enough to make sure all the parts connected. And that’s because I took a couple hours and went to a thread lace class and everything has to be connected or the leaves fall apart!!!
So, here’s the glue leaf.
And then I tried a glue tree…
And a little sylized glue tree…
The glue has to cool before you take it off the silicon sheet, so I have to walk away for a bit…and maybe buy some more glue sticks! I’ll be ready to see how these work as both stamps and stencils after the hubby and I go out to lunch with friends.
Must always remember to mix the fun with the work…oh, wait–it’s so very hard for me to tell the difference!!!
Messy is my middle name, so I always have a use for a clean up rag. When I’m playing with paint and stencils and stamps, it’s just another piece of fabric that I use to clean off stamps and use up the last bit of paint on my palette.
These pieces were clean up pieces
and I liked them so much I decided to chop and sew with them.
I have a stack of pieces that I dyed in the same batch with these and I really didn’t like the way they turned out. I may have found a way to use them now!
And these were the hot glue on cardboard stamps that I made…hated the way they stamped…
I decided that nothing could hurt the practice fabric so I thought I would try regular school glue as a resist. The plan is to do paint-in-a-bag with it and check how the glue works as a resist…and to see if washable glue really is washable! Stay tuned for the results!
Today was devoted to gingko leaves and paint…sort of. I got all my paint stuff out, and I sure have a lot of that stuff, too!
Then I grabbed those gorgeous gingko leaves from last week and some maple, oak and sycamore leaves and I was all set to stamp, stamp, stamp with leaves.
Hmmm…I wanted a fabric like this picture,
but not a flat black background, so I got a couple of black prints and tried out this metallic paint.
My paint is really not opaque enough to give me the effect I want, but these are okay. I decided to try out some bright colors, and added a bit of white to add some opacity.
Again, okay, but I’m not crazy about any of these.
I love them! And I am SOOOO all about color…hmmmmm! Think I need to play with black some more. I like this black leaf, too.
And I have lots of black paint!