I’m finding that I’m not spending long hours in my studio lately. I’m grabbing an hour here and an hour there, but still able to get a little bit done at a time.
I grabbed one of those hours today and tried to make more design decisions on my pink batik piece. I want to settle on the placement of my large beads and decide whether or not it would look like it’s floating with a nice gray border. Still don’t know, but even thinking takes time!
Then my eyes fell on the stencil I purchased at USArtquest last week. I knew what I wanted to do with it, so I tried.
I am not a stenciler. I am forced to accept that because my stencils usually come out BAAAD. I just can’t seem to get the right proportion or thickness of paint. My first attempts were too blobby, then too watery and still blobby.
I was about to give up in disgust at myself when I thought about stamping…yes, what did I have to lose!
Painted the paint on the stencil with a light touch, but paint just as it came from the bottle.
Then I put it on the fabric (which I had on a towel for a little padding), covered the stencil with a piece of waxed paper and hit it with a brayer.
It looked blobby from this side, but it came out great! Just what I wanted and I love that you can see the brush strokes. That’s like a bonus texture layer.
I was a little more generous with the paint after this one. Quite surprised that this worked and gave me what I was looking for. Maybe the surface design instruction I’ve been around has been sinking in!
These are not perfect, but that will work just fine when I start putting them with the other fabric I plan to use.
No more time in that short grab of an hour, but as long as I am making tiny forward steps, I can be happy!