My first peyote stitch cabachon cage was NOT successful. I tried to fix it by reducing the number of beads in a round and by adding extra rounds of those tiny size 15 beads. Big failure!
So, it was rip-it-out-time and I started all over. I made sure that my largest beads were on the bottom round and worked up with smaller beads. I am still amazed at the difference in size in 3 colors of beads all labeled size 11. And when you are working with small beads, that little bit of difference DOES matter.
This third round is where I first noticed the problem on the first try. I could see immediately that on this second try, everything was so much better. Those beads are forming a nice snug cage around that stone! Hooray!
After adding the darkest color of “size 11” beads and 2 rows of those size 15 teeny, tiny beadies, I finally have a cage that fits perfectly around my stone. Hooray, hooray! I DID IT!
Now to try it again, just to make sure that it’s a trick I can repeat!