I’ve been spending some spare time searching the internet for information on dyeing wool and got a chance today to try spot dyeing.
Using just a bit over a yard of fabric, I tried 3 colors. I only used 1/2 tsp. of dye powder to 1/2 cup water for each color.
Hints I picked up from various spots: pre-soak or wash the wool in Synthrapol or detergent…only put enough water in the pan to barely cover the wool–squish it down, too. Don’t heat the water or the pan until after your dye is added if you want any blending of the colors.
So, here’s what my dye pot looks like as I’m ready to turn on the heat. I “cooked” this batch for at least 25 minutes because I don’t really know yet what the optimum time will be.
After the initial cooking, I added a cup of vinegar for the mordant and cooked for about 20 minutes more.
I expected the color to be quite a bit lighter after the washing and drying, but this turned out very close to how it looked in the pan! Now THIS is the kind of fabric I love. Lots of color on each piece, not solid colors. I know I need both, but this is so much fun!
I think the next batch will be casserole dyeing…stay tuned!