Well, I feel clever for finding a solution to my design issue. I’m making good progress on my next project for my end of January deadline, but I wanted to have more texture on my background…but nothing obvious…not more stamping or printing…maybe quilting…no time for hand stitching…hmmmm!?
The piece is about reading, so writing was the obvious answer. I thought of the stacked journaling that Judi Hurwitt does, but doing it her way was not going to work for my project. And I didn’t really want to write anything that anyone could actually read. And I didn’t want it quilted in, because I didn’t want to have a binding finish or even the hand sewing that a facing brings. So, I scoured my shelves and drawers and found the perfect solution. I had a large piece of DecorBond interfacing. I fused it to the back of the background piece, turned the piece over and wrote out a few thoughts about reading. Then I free motion stitched the words, running them all together and not worrying a bit about the quality or legibility of the writing…because it’s backwards when seen on the front of the piece!
This is a close-up of what it looks like on the front. Not readable but kind of obviously writing. There are more pieces that will go on top of this and there will be quilting before the piece is done.
It’s quite subtle when seen from any distance at all, but it gave that extra layer of texture that I was looking for.
Whenever you find a solution that fits into your design idea, it’s a good day. And that’s why I feel so clever!
Linking this to Off the Wall Friday!