I’m finding out what I DON’T want in my needlefelting experiments!
I grabbed some more squares of maybe-felted wool and layered them on a nice for-sure felted wool piece. Then I started needlefelting them, paying attention to how things looked and felt with the different thicknesses in the layers. It looked okay and the pieces looked good together.
Then I flipped it over and felted from the back side. I didn’t get any pictures–I was just doing it! Not as happy with it because of the background color coming through. It was expected, of course, because that’s how felting works, but it wasn’t even and I didn’t like it. I tried to even it out with more felting, but it just wasn’t too good.
Another suggestion was to add roving bits around the edges and try felting those in. Awful!
And it’s not like I didn’t have the same colors of roving as the wool I was using! The white was added over the dingy white that resulted from felting from the backside. And from another suggestion, I next wet felted the whole thing with a bit of bubble wrap.
Maybe what I really want is just to use needlefelting as a basting technique.
And maybe my next experiments will be only with thicker, firmer wool that has been thoroughly felted.
Maybe I need to be fusing wool pieces together, but the thought of fusing that nice, soft wool just does not appeal to me, even for experimenting. Lots of other options to try first, I believe.
And maybe I’ll just start putting pieces of wool together without any needlefelting so that the picture in my head that’s haunting me will start to go away!!!