Finally had a chance to learn hands-on about deconstucted screen printing, along with a lot of things to try for spontaneous screen printing. Thanks so much to instructor Debra Gash! I learned a lot and discovered that there is tons that I don’t have a clue about. I love classes like that because it means I have a whole new world to explore!
So I got a little spontaneous and brave and tried out a couple of things. Pardon the poor photos, but some of the ‘stuff’ is hard to get a good photo of!
In class, we used an embroidery hoop and polyester fabric with a resist for one of our projects. I had both, so I got them ready.
I taped a stencil onto the face, using just clear packing tape. That gave me a resist and a tape area for the ‘well’ for my paint.
Being too lazy to go searching for the proper tools, such as a squeegee to pull the paint, I improvised with a paint chip card and that same tape for a smooth edge. It worked.
Maybe a real squeegee would have given me a better result, but this gave me a very thick pile of paint.
Then I used a sponge
and the results were a little better.
You can actually see what this Rube Goldberg screen printing set up looks like with the paint that’s left after I used it.
Tape pulled off nice and easily, stencil, of course, was just set on the screening and the fabric just needed to be released from the hoop. The fabric washes easily as long as you don’t let the paint dry, so you don’t have to throw it away.
This was not perfect, but it’s part of this whole new world that I get to explore now. And you really DON’T need a huge amount of specialized equipment.
Thickened dye and deconstructed printing are next on the agenda…when I have time to play. And I guess by that, I mean when I have a whole day to really, really get into it and experiment. Got a busy couple of weeks coming up, so it may be a while, but this way I’ll always have something to look forward to!