Several ideas spinning through my head, so I hit the stash to see what would make it to the top of the heap. Bingo! Bright colors and I wanted to make a baby quilt, so ding! ding! ding! we have a winner!!!!
Except that these brights all had a black background. I had used them in a couple of other quilts several years ago, that I thought would be good baby quilts. Not so much for babies, with all the black, but okay for an older kid.
Today I decided to try and use them up. I added a couple of reds and lots of white and went back to my favorite wonky nine patch blocks.
I figured out a way to really production-piece these and made a huge stack in only a couple of hours. The slices and angles are not as varied this way, but in the big picture, it works out fine.
Then I had to spend some time doing the most boring part of this process–trimming the wonky blocks to size. Sigh!
Finally, I was able to get them all put up on the design wall.
EEEEEEK! What a jumbled, eye-popping mess! And I really thought it was going to be a quick put-together-and-done quilt. What to do…what to do…head back to the stash and look for something for sashing, I guess.
Man, oh, man, this using up the the stash thing is awesome! I had a big roll of binding that I had never used and it was perfect! But I didn’t want to take forever sewing sashing to each block, and that would have made the quilt twin size, not baby size. That’s when I came up with the idea of combining the 9 patches into 4 patches and sashing those.
Now don’t think I sew sashing like that…it’s just pinned up on the design wall, ready for assembly. The blacks, added reds, whites and the yellow are combining for a bright and happy baby quilt.
I had just barely enough of the yellow for the sashing–about 6 inches to spare–and I had originally thought the roll was so huge I’d still have enough for the binding, too! Guess I’ll have to go stash diving again for something appropriate. I’m really liking this Use-Up-The-Stash Self Help Program I’m on!