Borders–Class Project

Oh, yeah–decisions made and finishing up!

Had lots of ideas for additional steps on the workshop project, but I decided that it just needed to be done! I tried various fabrics for the borders I decided that it needed, and settled on this red.

Pauly class border 1

I also like asymmetrical work so I slid that big red hunk to the right. Then I had to decide if I wanted curvy edges or straight, and went with only one curvy edge.

Pauly class border 2

Did one more slice to get rid of a bit more of the big red hunks and slapped the borders on for this nice squared off shape.

Pauly class border 3

Backing fabric is hard to come by around here though. I don’t buy fabric in large amounts any more and I really hate to piece backs. When I decide on that, this will get basted and quilted. I know I’ll be quilting tree imagery with red thread, but I’m not sure if I’ll add more texture with some couched yarn. It’s very tempting to keep adding…makes me feel like I’m creating more of an art quilt that way.

But sometimes it’s just adding crap to a piece that stands on it’s own. It’s a fine line and I don’t always decide correctly. Sigh!

So…looking around, I found this hunk of bright pink fabric that I could use for the back…

Overdye 1

if it wasn’t bright pink! I’m not opposed to overdye, but what color would I use to make it red? Red on top of the pink usually makes it just a darker pink. Yellow will make it coral, orange will make it a darker coral, green will make it brown, blue will make it purple. Maybe overdyeing is not the answer after all!

I’m glad the designing part of this piece is over with. It was a good learning experience for a technique that is different than mine. But now that I know how this particular exercise works, I will approach it in a different manner for another project.

Time to go back to the half-completed projects hanging out on the end of my cutting table and get some of them finished. A couple of deadlines on some of them and that helps to motivate, for sure!

In my head, I should be able to have a cleaned off table by Christmas time. It will be good to start a new year with all new projects!

 

Advertisements

13 thoughts on “Borders–Class Project

  1. Is anyone really going to SEE the back? I use my uglies on the backs, unless it’s for a gift. Sort of a trademark of mine, I guess. 🙂

    Like

    • Aaaah–that’s my problem! I don’t have a problem using uglies on the back. I just don’t think the pink is an ugly! And I don’t have yardage of anything else. I believe I found a big enough piece of plain muslin to dye…heaven forbid that I use that plain muslin! But I think I need to resign myself to piecing some backs now or never making anything bigger than a yard long!

      On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 11:07 AM, Quirks Ltd. wrote:

      >

      Like

  2. The large red borders bring unity to the piece, in my opinion. You really have a lot going on with this piece and you needed that unifying element. Looks good. Not sure I could have brought all that together.

    Like

    • It was a little too busy for my taste now… I have changed! The wide border really did help to stop that busyness from total explosion!

      On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 8:13 AM, Quirks Ltd. wrote:

      >

      Like

  3. I like, I like! Good job! Not sure I’d use the pink on the back. That pink seems to be crying out to be the star of its own quilt. Can’t wait to see the finished project!

    Like

    • If there had been one speck of pink in the front, I’d have gone for the pink backing! But that’s a large hunk of fabric, so it makes more sense for me to save it for a larger quilt. The back will present itself at some point…maybe if I straighten up some of the piles of stuff!

      On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 7:37 AM, Quirks Ltd. wrote:

      >

      Like

Comments are closed.