My intention when I went into the studio today was to use up some of my stash and make a polka-dot quilt. I never even touched the polka-dots! I got sidetracked by rusty fabric and discharged black…a whole pile of it.
I’ve been wanting to make something with this for a long time. There is easily enough fabric for a whole, real bed quilt, but I have not found a pattern or idea that I’m happy with. So, the hell with all this wishy-washy procrastination…pick up the fabric and cut into it…make something!!!!
Four light squares, four dark squares, about 8″ or so.
Four separate stacks and four separate cuts, simply to have them all different. Certainly I could have stacked them all up, but…
Now remember that the pieces and curves fit together perfectly before they are sewn.
But when you are sewing without added seam allowances, the edges SHOULD NOT line up.
Start with 8 squares, end with 8 squares and I decided to make them into split-circle blocks, sort of!
And added random red-orange strips between the quarters. And those uneven edges are simple to sew by laying the straight edge of the strip along that uneven edge and sew.
Trim now or trim later…it doesn’t matter. There’s always a lot of that when you are doing improv. I was deliberately trying to keep seams from matching and all the edges uneven. Sometimes thing match by accident, though!
I made a couple more blocks and then auditioned fabrics for setting the blocks together.
Aha–frame each block, as unevenly as possible with the rust and black fabrics! I like it!
Ready for basting and quilting!
The outside edges will probably get trimmed a bit more after the quilting, to keep them the same size as the inner edges. Now to agonize for a while over what color thread to use for the quilting, and how to quilt it!
It was a good day in the studio today, even though no polka-dots made it off the shelves!