Remember this photo, of the quilt I totally hated?
I had an idea of how I want to rescue it. Cut it into squares and pair it with a single color into half-square triangles. Easy-peasy again, right?
I selected orange as my pairing color, but the darker bronze orange in this pile.
I have a pile of really orange-orange and figured I’d like them better if they were all more bronze. So I tested a few dye colors to try to figure it out.
They are soaking right now, so it may or may not be a success.
In the meantime, I went ahead and started cutting up the quilt top. I pulled out a strip containing the top white curve because I might do something with it later. Then I cut strips and cross cut into squares and a funny thing happened along the way. I started falling in love with the squares. I put some of them on the design wall with some choices of possible backgrounds.
Black is always very dramatic.
The sections of white will disappear in a white frame.
I have way too many print choices to try them out right now, but I’m excited about all the possibilities now.
Look at those beautiful squares! Now I’m not sure what I want to do. Not going to make any decisions until I see how the orange pieces dyed up, but I’m not really thinking half square triangles any more!
I ended up with 35 squares easily and scraps enough to make probably 2 more, though I think 36 sounds just about right.
Lots more design thinking going on now……