Really-I love ironing. Maybe because when I iron, it’s new fabric that I washed or newly dyed fabric. I use the time for planning and plotting new projects, and in the winter, I love the warmth of the fabric and the iron!
Today I ironed the newly dyed fabric. There really is not a huge difference between snow dyeing results and regular dyeing results, EXCEPT when using anything other than pure colors. The cold makes the colors split and sometimes give cool crystal effects. These are the two very best pieces that I got this time.
But there was a bit of weirdness when I started to iron them. They stretched. Like legging fabric. Totally NOT my quilting cotton. They were in a stack of fabric given to me so I just threw them in the dye pot without paying any attention. They are really beautiful, but I don’t even know what to do with stretch fabric anymore!
One stack was previously dyed and came out mostly brown and teal. I threw some bright colors of dye in that tub and I was surprised by how much color showed and how it really perked up that whole bunch of fabric.
Some reds, and one larger piece from the tub that was too pink even for me, and I like pink!
Yellow, bronze, orange, lemon–with a bit of turquoise that flew over from the next tub–came out great!
And it’s a very large piece!
But the gray that I was expecting…not so great. I used gray, raven and better black dye powders on muslin and thought it would come out as shades of gray from light to charcoal. Not so much–gray, green, lavendar, black and even a touch of blue!
It’s very mottled and a good use for it does not immediately spring to mind. Perhaps it needs another overdye with only the gray to pull it together a bit more.
And I ended my day with pics of a couple of finished pieces. I never took a final shot of Gypsy Garden, so here it is.
And Lakeside is finished, too!
The decks are cleared to begin something new! Hooray! I have a project that’s been nagging at the back of my mind since last summer. I think it’s time to get to it!