Having little bits and pieces of time in the studio mostly means piddling around with bits and pieces of projects, too. I KNOW that I have to do some serious thinking before I start carving into my latest striped bits. AND that I want to have dedicated, uninterrupted time when I start working. Not gonna happen for a day or two at least.
But I did think about what color(s) I want to add into the piece with the narrow strips. Oh, wait–I skipped a step for you. I have decided that I want to insert very narrow curves into whatever I make with the stripes. And I do not want plain black or white!
So off from the shelves comes the fabrics…I’ll spare you many of the possibilities, but there are still a lot that I am contemplating!
Greens, golds, neutrals…
And the current favorite is a batik bright botanical.
I think the changing colors in narrow strips will be more effective than a single solid color or more graphic print.
I found lots more turquoise family fabrics to add to the mindless sewing of improv blocks.
I cannot believe how much I have in scraps alone that goes with this color family! It never seems to end. However, in my online time-wasting today I came across an artist whose style I fell in love with and one of her posts gave me an idea of a different way to use these. And as long as this “project” is simply sewing up the scraps to use them up, the ideas can marinate a little and maybe get a bit refined before I try them out. Love it when I come across something new and different.
Random fabric and beading got finished a couple of hockey games ago. Planning on it being an addition to something more, but I haven’t gotten any good ideas for that ‘more’ part yet!
And another internet picture had me trying crumpled tissue paper, india ink and water………..not at all what the original artist did, but I wanted to implant the concept in my brain while it was fresh.
Here are three layers of tissue, each crumpled, wet and dripped with India ink.
After it dried, I separated the layers, smoothed them out and I like what I got.
Top layer–more white and easiest to flatten
Layer 2–I know I was less gentle when I crumpled it on top of the first layer and it had quite a bit of tearing as I flattened it. Still distinctive dark and light markings.
Bottom layer–ended up being the wettest, of course and had most of the ink seep down into it. Some fragility and quite dark.
It was interesting to do this little experiment and the tissue will be useful in something, sometime. But when I do it again, it will probably be with fabric, dye and a resist, not just crumpling! Or more and different paper. It’s experimenting with the very dark and the very light that has caught my interest right now, not the materials I am playing with…
Bits and pieces of time, bits and pieces of projects and experiments. I’m ready to concentrate but it’s spring time. Yard work and sewing do NOT mix well. When the yard is ready to face the summer, I will get back to regular studio time, for sure!