Designing Quilts · Learning New Things! · Life

Collaborative Art

When the information for this project floated across my screen, I was interested but skeptical. It’s a call for artists to collaborate in an Alzheimer’s fundraiser. The parameters are incredibly open-ended and I like to make contributions for Alzheimer’s research whenever I can. I don’t typically make/donate art for causes or “exposure” anymore, but this… Continue reading Collaborative Art

Art Quilts · Designing Quilts · Learning New Things! · Non-traditional Quilts · surface design

Rush to finish

For some reason, I felt pressure to hurry and finish the little pass-around piece I started at our KEQ meeting. That’s strange, because sometimes I just do the exercise of the day and never look at the piece again. Let’s see…we met on Thursday. By the end of Saturday I had this much done. I… Continue reading Rush to finish

Art Quilts · Contemporary · Non-traditional Quilts · surface design

Faces and skulls

I love making fanciful faces in quilts and also love making those sugar skulls. I don’t make faces often because I’ve never been able to sell one. That bit of discouragement is partly what turned me to the sugar skulls. People really love those!!! Here are the 3 faces that I have available, just for… Continue reading Faces and skulls

Art Quilts · Contemporary · Designing Quilts

Indecision became my friend today

Decisions are always so hard for me and I’m always bemoaning that fact. I struggle to figure out designs and working with the tool fabric was hard. I do not want it to look childish. Well, letting ideas swirl without a firm direction worked this time! Moving from the house idea to triangles set off… Continue reading Indecision became my friend today

Art Quilts · Color · Designing Quilts · Non-traditional Quilts


Well, subtlety has never been my strong suit. Not in my speech OR my art. This gears piece is testing my limits for subtle differences. My border pieces were once upon a time white on white fabric. That means that now they have a distinctly different look on each side. Here’s a quick picture essay… Continue reading Subtlety

Art Quilts · Designing Quilts · Fabric

Changing gears, again!

Most likely I will be switching gears between watercolor/fabric experiments and what I call MY ‘traditional’ improv art quilts. And this beauty from dye day is calling my name…and sparking all the ‘gear’ thoughts! Seriously looking for your opinions on this one because I left the studio totally undecided. Here are the options I’m considering.… Continue reading Changing gears, again!

Art Quilts · Contemporary · Designing Quilts · Dyeing Fabric · Learning New Things!

It’s never a disaster…

I don’t dye my fabrics using precise recipes and strict formulas. Unexpected surprises are the norm. However, my last dye day left me a bit…let’s say disappointed. I had quite a bit of white fabric that I was printing with thickened dye. When I have done this before, the colors stayed where placed and the… Continue reading It’s never a disaster…

Art Quilts · Contemporary · Learning New Things! · surface design

Process–step by step

For some reason, this piece is flowing together quickly and easily. I am not hesitating over my decisions–and THAT is absolutely out of the norm! Painted paper with torn pieces to start, with some straight stitching Since I had originally envisioned this as a weaving, I wanted to incorporate a textile in a weaving referenced… Continue reading Process–step by step

Art Quilts · Designing Quilts · Learning New Things! · surface design

Old idea, new start

I had an idea about 12 years ago, when I was still painting. This was the start of it and then I wrote a book, we moved, we retired, we had a grandson, we did travel-teaching and this resided in the ‘under-the-table’ repository for all that time. Paper doesn’t ask for much while it’s waiting,… Continue reading Old idea, new start