This project—-totally loved where it was when I started. Then I began the actual construction and now I’m not sure.
Okay–this is my concept with fabric choices laid out.
The plan is to use water soluble stabilizer to create these flowers, so I just plunged ahead, following the plan. Sandwich the pieces between two pieces of the stabilizer, pin-pin-pin and stitch all over, making sure that everything is secured.
Trim the excess stabilizer off and then dissolve the stabilizer in water. It really does start to dissolve the moment water gets on it.
You know you’re done rinsing when it doesn’t feel slimy anymore! If you don’t get it all rinsed out, it dries stiff, which some people use to their advantage when making thread lace. So, these are rinsed well and I usually squeeze out most of the moisture in a towel.
Since I am using raw edges, I threw it in the dryer with my clothes, but I decided that I’d rather dry these all flat…just in case my stitching wasn’t as good as I thought!
On the next one, I added some extra yarn embellishment on top of the sandwich, after I had the flower all stitched down. Really, now is a good time to add any other embellishments that you think you’d like, as long as water won’t hurt them in the rinse out.
There are three of them laying out on my work table drying right now. I’m not sure if this is the technique I should have used. I really liked the big fluffiness of the scrap piles when everything was laying around and choices were being made.
I thought they would be way too floppy if I attempted to attach them AND keep them in big piles. Now they are kind of cool, but flat. I’ll go ahead and finish up the other two and then decide how to proceed. I may add some fluff and raggedy on top of the flat…it will be controlled but still slightly wild…I hope…maybe…we’ll have to see as I proceed!